A strong digital presence has become an essential tool for physicians who want to promote their medical practices. The most recent statistics provide clear evidence regarding the Internet’s growing importance in healthcare:
- 54% of Millennials users look online for health information and physician ratings before seeing a doctor, according to mobihealthnews.
- 72% of Internet users say they looked online for health information within the past year, most commonly searching for specific diseases or conditions; treatments or procedures; and doctors or other health professionals, according to Pew Research http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheets/health-fact-sheet/
For years, Specialdocs has been helping our concierge physician clients establish an online connection with their patients by offering website creation and hosting. Our webmaster Eric Martin has worked with each physician to develop a welcoming website, featuring news and events, a medical library of relevant health topics and practice-specific tabs. Equally important is the art of driving current and potential patients to the website, and Eric offers these five tips for concierge physicians seeking more online visibility:
- Blog, blog, blog In a recent experiment, a website increased its number of published blog posts from two posts per week to more than 10 posts per week. The result was a 300 percent increase in traffic in just two months; and this isn’t an unusual occurrence. Regular posting of unique, quality content will bring more traffic to your concierge medical practice site.
- Spend 80 percent of your time writing the headline of your blog post or digital ad When writing your content, spend the majority of time perfecting the headline in order to capture your audience’s attention and drive them to your site. Eight out of 10 people will read a headline but will not read the rest of your content.
- Optimize your site for SEO Don’t try to “manipulate,” “game,” or “shortcut” your search-engine rankings in any way; it’s a losing proposition these days. The SEO algorithms have become too smart for these tactics (in fact, they penalize users for this now), and the “shortcuts” have been eliminated from the industry. Instead, focus on making your site look as attractive as possible, with high-quality, easy-to-read content. Remember, in the 21st century, search engines can now read and understand your site better than you think. One simple tactic: make sure each page on your site has at least 300 words in easy-to-read paragraph form.
- Exchange blog posts with other sites Syndicating your blog on other sites is a great way to drive new audiences to your site. To get started, search for blogs in a similar industry and situation, in terms of size and audience. Then, reach out to its editor or site administrator and ask if they would like to swap blog articles. Take turns featuring each other’s blogs and linking back to the site. Special measures should be taken to avoid duplicate content, but this is an effective way to drive new visitors to your site.
- Create a Quiz Quizzes are fun pieces of content that work really well at driving engagement with your site visitors. Plus, they are easy to promote on any social media channels. Sites like Qzzr allow you to create free quizzes to post on your blog and drive traffic to your site.